Saturday, May 12, 2012

HOT TOPICS

You asked me- and I have the answers!
I can offer the best solutions to the vexing cut, color, and styling questions you posted on Hair By Megan B's Facebook page.


"I'm trying to do something with my hair that makes me look younger. Should I change the color, get bangs, or cut it short? - Rajal Vaishnav Mankad


I've told my clients many times, it's either Botox or bangs. Bangs hide wrinkles on the forehead and make you seem more youthful. Long side-swept fringe is the most versatile. But when you ask if you should cut it short, I thought, OoooH, no! That tends to mature people--plus, wearing your hair the same way every day is aging. Instead, go for hair that just hits the collarbone, with long layers. My mature clients love this look and it can be cut differently depending on their face shape. You'll also be able to pull it into a ponytail--and wearing different styles makes you look younger. If your skin has gotten pale or sallow with age, try warming things up with golden highlights and a rich base color--just don't stray too far. The most flattering base shades re-create the color and depth that you used to have.



"I have color-treated hair that is prone to breakage. How can I prevent both that and color fading at the same time?" -Vicki Weber

Help Vicki! That is a question I get asked a lot by new color clients after a service. If your hair breaks easily, it's probably either very fine or has been overly bleached and lost its elasticity. Hair color always fades eventually, but it will fade more quickly when hair is damaged. To keep it from becoming more porous and brittle, avoid bleach, shampoo infrequently, and only get highlights every eight weeks. Try not to heat-style more than a few times a week.
Always ALWAYS use a protective product, such as Chi Iron Guard thermal spray.

Add strength and moisture by using a conditioning treatment with natural oils, such as Surface Bassu Hydrating Mask once a week, and trade in your regular shampoo and conditioner for ones that are enriched with protein (Moroccan Oil). Also, drink plenty of water, and take a biotin supplement. It can take up to six months to see results, but it works!!


No comments: